One of our amazing Steel Bones Champions, Lauren who works with Clarion Housing, has given us some excellent advice and tips on how Steel Bones families can access support if worried about the cost of living ..
Money from local councils (England, Scotland, Wales) Help may be available through your local council, such as local welfare assistance schemes, depending on your circumstances and where you live in the UK. Keep an eye on your council’s website to check for updates
There is help out there and it is so important that those who need help reach out and feel they can!
The Local authorities work slightly different so it may be worth going through to them direct for more specific info on vouchers for their customers.
- https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/hub/quick-tips-to-save-energy/- fab website on good practical advice on how to save energy
- I imagine quite a few of your families are housed by Sanctuary- if so here is the link to the specific part in their website where you can get guidance and support on costs of electricity and where this could be saved within the home – https://www.sanctuary.co.uk/your-home/energy-efficiency
- https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/get-help-with-the-cost-of-living/- Citizens Advice is also providing a LOT of good support, including supporting people to spread out their payments and how to contact Local Authorities
- South Holland District council have details on the Tax rebate so a good place to understand when payments are due ect https://www.sholland.gov.uk/CouncilTaxRebate
- Most Local authorities are also running a ‘warm places’ this is a place people can come to get warm and have a cup of tea ( would be so helpful for those who go into town and then need a rest before making the journeys home ect) https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/cambs-councils-plan-warm-spaces-24912491 – this is the link for Cambs but each Local Authority website should provide more info.
BIG THANK YOU TO LAUREN FOR THESE AND EVERYTHING SHE IS DOING TO HELP US.
Here’s some others we have come across …
Helpful Tips for anyone struggling with the cost of living from Steel Bones https://buff.ly/3F7LnDk